Saturday, November 7, 2009

Pride and Prejudice and the Zombies

by Jane Austen and Seth Grahame-Smith

Thumbs up.

This is a hoot. Combine the silliness of a hoaky martial arts movie, the kitch of a bad horror flick and classic regency fare and what do you get? Pride and Prejudice and the Zombies. I was constantly fighting off the urge to read snippets to whoever was near.

Mr. Grahame-Smith takes the framework of the Jane Austen original and inserts a zombie plague, the Bennet girls having been highly trained in Shaolin monasteries in Tibet, and the gradual decline of a good friend who has been bitten by an unmetionable.

I hope they make a movie.

The illustrations will be bit distracting for regency fans, because in all but the first, the clothing style is totally wrong. Imagine Lizzy doing a side kick in late 1800s/early 1900 clothing with kind of a Wild West flair.

In doing a little side reading on this book, I see that there is a movie currently in production called Pride and Predator, produce by none other than Elton John. Pardon me, I guess I should say, Sir Elton John.

3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you liked this one, Mary. It was funny, wasn't it? I loved how the author would use the same phrases from the original P & P, within the context of a zombie discussion.

    The first time I heard about this book, was when Dave had read an article in Entertainment Weekly (while at the chiropractor's office) about the casting for the movie. So, hopefully it'll happen.

    Your post reminded me that Madeline informed me that there's also a "Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters." I just reserved it from the library.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hilarious!

    I saw this series at B and N the other day and just rolled my eyes thinking they looked ridiculous. But it is good to hear they are at least mildly entertaining!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also have requested Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters and Mr. Darcy, Vampyre. It seems to be quite a trend to mix the two genres. I came across several other titles, but just stopped requesting.

    ReplyDelete