Monday, September 28, 2009

Rescuing Sprite: A Dog Lover's Story of Joy and Anguish

by Mark Levin.

One thumb up, One Thumb Down.

Let me start by saying that I am not an animal lover. I did not grow up in a home with pets. although I would have liked to have a pet while growing up, the primary ideas with which I came into adulthood was that pets ought to be outside; they cost money to feed; and they are not people.

That said, I can kind of...maybe...if I use all my mental capacity...imagine...the feelings the author describes with regard to his animals.

In the context of a memorial to Sprite, a dog the Levin family adopted from an animal shelter, Mr Levin tells of his childhood pets; his current pet, Pepsi; and then the two years his family had with Sprite.

Whether because of the emotion with which Mr Levin is writing, or because the subject matter is so different from his academic writings, the language is somewhat stilted. The narrative is in places terse and the segues are not smooth.

Even so, I enjoyed reading about the personal life of a man I have come to admire. The glimpses into his family life and friendships, and into his law and radio occupations were fun to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment